One of the most important themes for the water industry in the 21st century is “Water Security” which has been defined as:
“The certainty that a community can have, that its water needs will be met in the future on an economically, socially and environmentally sustainable basis -the needs being
- Safe and affordable drinking water
- Water to support industry and agriculture
- Water management to create liveable communities
- Water to protect the environment”
Over the last few years, driven by increasing urban populations, variable rainfall patterns and lack of investment in centralised urban water infrastructure, water security is increasingly under threat both globally and also in parts of Australia. There is pressure on urban utilities to drive additional production through existing facilities, as well as to find alternative sources of water.
The increasing demand for drinking water in urban communities is reducing the quantity and quality of source waters for existing treatment facilities. Decentralised treatment facilities processing rainwater, surface water and groundwater, and recycling facilities for stormwater, greywater and sewage are emerging as direct and indirect supplements to traditional water sources. At the same time, the industry is under increasing pressure to lower costs while regulators demand higher levels of risk management in an effort to keep pace with the rapid change from the traditional model.
Based in Sydney, Australia, Optimos Solutions was founded by Phil Krasnostein who has over 40 years’ experience in engineering and process industries, including several years in the highly regulated Australian urban water recycling sector.
Optimos is assembling a portfolio of cutting-edge solutions aimed at helping to improve water security. We aim to provide the highest level of support to our municipal, commercial and industrial customers. In addition to outstanding products and services, our people and alliance partners bring vast experience and domain knowledge right across the entire water cycle.
Optimos has built its reputation on the supply, installation and management of the world’s most advanced real-time water quality monitoring system, the ZAPS Technologies LiquID™ Station.
Recently, we have expanded our real time monitoring and data analytics portfolio by adding the Ayyeka Wavelet.
To support our customers in the implementation of these technologies, Optimos also:
- Together with our alliance partner, Risk Edge, provides advice on their use as key components of our customers’ risk management and compliance strategies.
- Provides advice on their use in the management of our customers’ catchments, water and wastewater treatment, recycling and distribution systems.
- Can Integrate these technologies with complementary water quality monitoring sensors and value-adding data analytics systems. In addition Optimos designs and builds specialised water quality monitoring and dosing systems, incorporating technology from these and other leading suppliers. We have the in-house knowledge and skills to identify the most appropriate technologies to meet your specific requirements, and to implement them in your water treatment facilities.
To further support our water security solutions initiative, Optimos also offers the first of a portfolio of specialised treatment systems – the AWG CBOM wastewater treatment technology.
While our technologies are widely applicable and versatile, every application is different. In some applications, they are stand-alone solutions, in other applications they will form part of the solution in conjunction with other selected technologies. We start by working with our customers to ensure that we understand and fully define their requirements, and to configure the solution specifically for their needs. Optimos then manages the supply, installation, commissioning and handover of the system, and at the customer’s request, provides ongoing preventive maintenance and management services.
To complement the above, Optimos has recently partnered with Risk Edge and Global Environment Corporation to provide a range of data management solutions, an approach we call AquaSentric. The AquaSentric solutions are flexible and configurable, and are designed to assist in the areas of:
- Risk management and regulatory compliance
- Water cycle governance
- Improved process management